Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gratefully Yours


As 2011 begins, I find myself counting my blessings. It requires a lot of helping hands to keep me rolling along. My husband Tom prepares food for me, lifts me into and out of bed everyday, pays my bills, and does the thousand little things my hands can’t perform anymore. Our friend Duane gets me through the shower three times a week and shaves and dresses me. A fresh shave is something I took for granted for many years, but now I particularly appreciate how it helps me put my best face forward.

I go to a local hotel to get my haircut and a doorman at the front of the hotel always opens the door for me. I used to be a little embarrassed by that much attention, but now it's just about the only way I can get in.

I had some trouble with my computer last week so we called our friend Mike. It wasn't just that his hands were better with cables and keyboards, his expertise got me back and running in a couple of hours.

Last week while Tom was out of town, our friends Jim and Pat brought over a meal they had lovingly prepared themselves. Carl stayed with me all week to take over the responsibilities that Tom usually fulfills. Last month I was home alone during the day and I really wanted something to drink. I had a small bottle of cranberry juice but I couldn’t open it; my hands just weren’t strong enough. So I put the bottle in my lap and rolled to the elevator thinking I might find a friendly neighbor eventually. Before too long an electrician, repairing some lights in the hallway, came along and provided a helping hand. The list goes on… but you get the idea. Happy 2011, may you know even half the generosity that I do this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment