Monday, September 6, 2010

Bob n Bill

Bob and Bill have been together for 60 years. Now in their eighties, their home has become too much for them to handle. They are both frail. Their friend, Carl, is helping them sell and move to a facility with a dining room and linen service and emergency response as needed.

Bob and Bill have lived in many places during their 60 years together, Paris, New York City, Palm Springs. As I watch them navigate this difficult time I’m aware that many in their eighties rely on children or grand children to help cross these waters. Not so much with the gays who relied on peers through most of life’s transitions, now their friends are too old -or dead.

I wish there were something funny or hopeful I could say about this situation. But I'm afraid it will be repeated over and over as this generation of LGBT seniors age past the stage of self-determination. They are great and brave men and women who helped shape a world where I could be comfortable being myself. Thank you Bob and Bill, and all your peers who paved the way for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment